Site Content

Grievance Procedure

It is the intent of the faculty and staff of Wake Forest University to comply with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. Under these laws, no qualified individual with a disability shall be denied access to or participation in services, programs and activities offered at Wake Forest University.

Students who believe that they have been denied “reasonable accommodations” for their documented disability or that they have been discriminated against on the basis of their disability should follow the subsequent steps:

1. The student should file a complaint detailing his/her allegations. The complaint should be in writing, and should contain the name, address and phone number of the person filing it. It should be filed with the Director of the Learning Assistance Center (LAC) within 30 days of the date of the alleged violation. The complainant should also sign and file with the complaint a “release of information” statement regarding information in the student’s disability file, permitting review of such information by individuals involved in the grievance process.

2. The Director of the LAC will investigate the complaint and attempt a resolution with the parties involved. If a mutually agreed upon resolution is not reached, then the Director will refer the complaint to the Director of Equal Opportunity and Employee Relations, who will convene a special meeting of at least 2 members of the Committee for Students with Disabilities to further investigate and review the complaint.

3. A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of its recommended resolution shall be issued by the Committee and forwarded to the complainant within 30 days of the filing of the complaint.

4. If the grievance is against the Director of the LAC, then the same procedures will be followed except the complaint will be forwarded directly to the Director of Equal Opportunity and Employee Relations for preliminary investigation and resolution.

5. The complainant can request a reconsideration of the case if dissatisfied with the Committee’s resolution. This request should be made in writing to the Vice President for Student Life within 10 workdays of receiving the recommendation of the Grievance Committee.

6. During the grievance process, the student is expected to represent himself or herself directly.

The above process neither prevents nor substitutes for a student’s right to file a complaint with the federal Office of Civil Rights.